How it all started
EARLY YEARS (1967 - 1989)
Bahrain Cinema & Film Distribution Company is established by Amiri decree.
- Company commences operations in Bahrain following acquisition of Awal Cinema, Bahrain Cinema and Al Nasr Cinema.
- Al Hamra Cinema opens, the first air-conditioned theatre in Bahrain.
New Awal Cinema in Manama opens, following demolition of previous theatre.
Bahrain Cinema & Film Distribution Company is renamed Bahrain Cinema Company.
Al Nasr Cinema is converted to an air-conditioned theatre.
Bahrain Cinema Company (Cineco) is listed on the Bahrain Stock Exchange.
1997 - 2009
New six-screen cineplex opens at Seef Mall, Bahrain.
- Al Jazeera two-screen cineplex opens in Muharraq, Bahrain.
- New four-screen cineplex opens in Saar, Bahrain.
New 10-screen megaplex opens at Seef Mall, Bahrain.
First Rendezvous buffet restaurant opens at Seef Mall, Bahrain.
New 14-screen megaplex opens at Doha City Centre, Qatar.
First Taka Tak Indian restaurant opens at Awal Cinema complex, Bahrain.
- New 20-screen megaplex opens at Bahrain City Centre.
- New 13-screen cineplex opens at Villagio Mall, Doha, Qatar.
2010 - 2019
Qatar Bahrain International Cinema Company is established.
- Construction of Awal Plaza in Bahrain commences, resulting in the closure of Awal Cinema and Taka Tak restaurant.
- New outlet of Taka Tak restaurant opens at the Dragon Mall in Muharraq, Bahrain.
- New six-screen cineplex opens in Wadi Al Sail Mall at Riffa, Bahrain.
- Third branch of Rendezvous restaurant opens at Wadi Al Sail Mall.
- New 13-screen megaplex opens in Gulf Mall, Doha, Qatar.
- New three-screen cineplex opens at Al Khor Mall, Qatar.
- Leasing of first block of apartments commences at Awal Plaza.
- JV agreement signed with Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas Company to establish Vox Cineco Cinemas Company, which will manage the 20-screen megaplex at Bahrain City Centre.
- Red Dragon Company established as a new Cineco subsidiary in Saudi Arabia to manage restaurant and entertainment activities in the Kingdom.
- New 10-screen cineplex opens at Oasis Mall, Juffair, Bahrain featuring innovative new Cine Kids and Cine Gourmet concepts.
- Cineco is awarded an exclusive GCC franchise from the UK for indoor electric go-karting, which will form the core activity of planned entertainment centres across the region.
- Al Jazeera Cinema closes down.
- Nesto Supermarket opens at Awal Plaza, Bahrain.
- New two-screen cineplex opens at the Galleria Mall, Dubai.
- Cineco applies for a licence to operate cinemas in Saudi Arabia.
- Bahrain Cinema Company signs an agreement to develop Cineplex in Amwaj Village Mall,Amwaj Islands. CINECO will undertake the development of 5 screens in Amwaj Village Mall. (Signing Period: Dec 2019)